About our School Sessions
A memorable journey of West African musical culture that lets
students share in a creative learning experience. We usually
deliver a mix of drumming, dancing and singing, but we’re
always adaptable and can tailor our session to your request.
- Students learn about the traditional instruments and how to play them.
- Students learn accessible traditional songs and rhythms.
- Every student gets a djembe drum for the session.
- Sessions are inclusive regardless of age, ability or background.
- Mindfulness and stress relieving benefits.
- A healthy physical activity that also stimulates cognitive function.
- Promotes communication, social skills and team work.
Include drum, dance and song, though we can easily adapt to suit your specifications. All of our facilitators are experienced and unique performers. We kick off with a short performance, getting everyone excited about the music. We then move into drumming, teaching African rhythms and musical games. At the end of the session we have question time, where students can ask the facilitator about their background, culture, and about Africa.
Maximise learning outcomes with a 4 week to full term Programme, suitable for all ages. We develop the ensemble, practise technique and dexterity, add songs, and build towards a high-energy student concert, offering students the chance to learn an instrument, be part of a group in a meaningful way, and nurture their confidence. Showcasing their piece at a school concert at the end of the Programme provides an important sense of accomplishment.