Kicking off tonight (June 29), our St Kilda djembe classes are back for a brand new 6-week cycle. Offering both beginner and intermediate classes, our cycles are a fun and interactive study and appreciation of the djembe and West African music in general. Beginners will focus on learning basic technique, groove development, ear training and basic musical concepts. Intermediates will explore different time signatures, prepare full arrangements and experiment with faster tempos.
Beginners @6.15pm – 7.45pm on Monday evenings
Intermediate @8pm – 9.30pm on Monday evenings
2020 Class Cycles: Our cycles run for 6 weeks
*If you miss both the 1st & 2nd week of a cycle, we recommend joining the following cycle
Cycle #5 – Join our classes on June 29th or July 6th
Cycle #6 – Join our classes on August 10th or August 17th
Cycle #7 – Join our classes on September 21st or September 28th
Cycle #8 – Join our classes on November 2nd or November 9th
Do I need a djembe of my own?
If studying at St Kilda, we can offer you a free djembe during your classes. If you’d like to practise during the week outside of class, we can loan you a djembe for $20 per week. In the highly likely event that you fall in love with your djembe, we can help make it official with our Rent to Own plan. If you decide to buy the drum you’ve been renting, we’ll deduct the amount you’ve paid in hire fees from the total cost of the drum. We’ll keep your credit from the hire for up to 6 weeks after the last class you’ve attended.
How are you complying with the Victorian Government’s restrictions in response to covid-19?
○ We have a strict limit of 8 adult students per class
○ All of our drums will be wiped down and disinfected before each class
○ We will provide hand sanitiser to our students on entry to the shop
○ Our teachers will practise safe social distancing
○ We are monitoring government guidelines daily and will update when required
How can I help to keep myself and others safe during these classes?
○ Sanitise your hands upon entry to the shop – we will provide sanitiser
○ Please stay in your station and only use the downstairs bathroom
○ Avoid touching your face
○ Cough and sneeze into your elbow and discard of any tissues immediately
○ Practise safe social distancing at all times
○ Students are encouraged to bring their own djembe if they can
All bookings need to be made online.
We also offer online classes. Click here for more details